Tuesday, October 26, 2010

From your Daddy

Dear Lana,

Your daddy wrote this letter to you as a comment - but I think it's too good not to write as a post of its own. Here's what your daddy had to say:


To my baby girl,

I can still remember a time when your daddy was a big "strong" man who could emotionally handle anything. It wasn't particularly healthy for him, but over the last few years of being married to your mummy, he's slowly been able to come out of his shell and to share and express his emotions in a healthy way.

Then came the day when you were born, and all those facades of emotional manliness and bravado crumbled and gave way in the face of your girlish giggles, your squeals of excitement as I chased you through the house, and those beautiful eyes that disappeared when you smiled your cheeky little smile.

Life is no longer the same - I would give anything to be able to hang on to these moments forever. The other night on your birthday, after you had exhausted yourself from a day's worth of frolicking and fun, I lay on our bed and thought about how quickly time just seemed to fly right by. It seemed like only yesterday when you were born - and now it seems like the years are flying right now. And as I lay there on the bed, I started to cry because I knew that one day, I'm going to wake up and my little girl will be all grown up and married. I knew that that day was going to come sooner that I expect or want it to. As I cried, your mummy reminded me to cherish the moments that we have together - so even though you won't always be my little two-year old girl, you will, in my eyes, forever and always be my little girl.

May I never be too busy to spend time with you, may I always be there when you call for me, to protect you when you feel scared, to pick you up when you fall. May I never forget just how important you, Maddy and mummy are to me, and to never lose sight of that.

Happy 2nd birthday, my little bundle of joy. I hope you have fun being two. And I hope I will be there with you to share and to cherish each step that you take.

With love always,
Your father

No comments:

Post a Comment